Udaipur, Dec 1 : Udaipur practically needs no introduction as a tourist’s haven and a picturesque wedding destination. Be it Liz Hurley, Jennifer Lopez, HIndujas, Bollywood stars Raveena Tandon, they all swear by the Lake City’s beauty.
But now beauty, charming lake city would turn smart too. Thanks to FICCI and Udaipur Municipal Corporation. They have a deal now to turn the city into a smart City.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the two, will focus on the challenges and solutions. Sectoral experts from various companies made technical presentations in the areas of solid waste management, urban mobility and heritage conservation at a brainstorming meet today.
FICCI and UMC along with other stakeholders such as industry experts, civil society and other stakeholders will jointly work on the vision, goals and strategies to develop Udaipur as a Smart City.
FICCI will align the interest of industry members with those of the government and will also provide technology support to the Udaipur Smart City project through FICCI smart city committee. FICCI will assist the UMC through required consultation and advisory inputs on policy advocacy relevant to the development of Udaipur under the smart cities initiative.
FICCI, through its members, will work in collaboration with UMC in the following areas:
• Creation of Financial plans for various sectors and creation of innovative sources of the Municipal Finance
• Project based support for projects in areas like Transport, Solid Waste Management, Heritage Conservation, Tourism, Water Supply, Housing, Sewerage, Health, Education, Storm Water Drainage
• Capacity building to plan, design and execute projects efficiently
• Workshop to identify the challenges and solutions
• Advise on appropriate governance and implementation frameworks
State home minister Gulab Chand Kataria, who is from Udaipur emphasized on the importance of cooperation between the civic body and FICCI for ensuring good results which may lead to Udaipur getting place in the list of first 20 cities in the “100 Smart Cities” mission of the government of India.
Udaipur district Collector, Rohit Gupta, wanted FICCI’s support in setting up of a control and command center in Udaipur where all the city departments providing civic services like, health, fire, waste, urban transport, etc. could be integrated.
Dr A Didar Singh, secretary general, FICCI expressing his views on this engagement said they will bring expertise from private sector to provide best solutions to the city in upgrading its services.
What exactly is a Smart City?
1. A city equipped with basic infrastructure to give a decent quality of life, a clean and sustainable environment through application of some smart solutions.
2. Basic Infrastrructure : Assured water and electricity supply, sanitation and solid waste management, efficient urban mobility and public transport, robust IT connectivity, e-governance and citizen participation, safety and security of citizens.
3. Smart Solutions: Public information, grievance redressal, electronic service delivery, citizens’ engagement, waste to energy & fuel, waste to compost, 100% treatment of waste water, smart meters & management, monitoring water quality, renewable source of energy, efficient energy and green building, smart parking, intelligent traffic management system.
4. Area-based development
1. Retrofitting 500 acres: Planning in an existing built-up area in a municipal ward, preparing plan with citizen
2. Greenfield 250 acres: Introduce smart solutions in a vacant area using innovative planning
3. Redevelopement 50 acres: Replacement of existing built-up area and preparing a new layout plan with enhanced infrastructure by way of mixed land use