Jaipur, Feb 3 : The Supreme Court today admitted a petition by the Rajasthan government against the High Court judgment, which scrapped the five percent reservation awarded to the Special Backward Class (SBC) in various government services and educational institutes last year in December.
Shiv Mangal Sharma, Additional Advocate General (AAG) of the BJP-led state government, filed the appeal on behalf of the government.
Thousands of youths, who have been selected to various government services under this very quota of Special Backward Class, have been in a confused state as their selections were put on hold.
All India Gujjar Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti president Ranvir Singh Biduri had said that the career of these youths have been put on hold.
Around 4,000 people who were appointed in various government departments and another 1,000 in various institutions under the Specific Backward Classes (Reservation of seats in Educational Institutions in the state and of Appointment and Posts under the state) Act, 2015 by the Vasundhara Raje-led government, have been affected.
The Rajasthan High Court in December last year had struck down the SBC quota of five percent on the ground of violating constitutional cap of 50 percent set by the Supreme Court.
In the backdrop of this development, the Gujjars are now demanding a separate quota within the Other Backward Caste (OBC) so that the reservation does not exceed the 50 percent limit.
The cabinet sub-committee members, including state Cabinet ministers Arun Chaturvedi, Rajendra Rathore, and Hem Singh Bhadana and which is monitoring the reservation demand of Special Backward Classes (SBC) and which includes Gujjars, had said that the community’s quota would be safeguarded in all ongoing recruitment by different departments.